Hearing Jesus speak to you
Knowing the will of God is one of the most discussed topics in the Christendom. Just how do you know that God has spoken? Does He speak audibly? Do you hear Him in dreams or visions? Does He send people? How do you confirm? An intimate relationship with God is the key to hearing God speak. We can only hear Him if we have had time to establish an intimate relationship with him. In his book, The Pursuit of God, A.W Tozer explains the need for us as Christians to pursue God as part of our duty in building intimacy with God. “We pursue God because He has first put an urge in us to pursue Him. The impulse to pursue God originates with God, but the working of that impulse is our following hard after Him”. This does not mean that we wait until God pursues us; we have to seriously commit ourselves to pursue Him too.
You need to be able to differentiate religiosity and religious activities from the pursuit of God. Do not be caught up in serving God and pursuing the blessings and the gifts and forget the Giver. Today we are often caught up in doing things for God and often forget and lack the longing for Him. The psalmist says it clearly. “1As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.2My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?” (Psalms 42:1-2 ESV). You need to get to such a point as that; where you long and thirst for God.
In the midst of many things, noise within and without, you need to identify God’s voice and respond to it. Even in our generation, God still speaks. The problem is that we do not hear, because often we do not listen. Hearing God speak is a natural result of a close walk with Him. Remember the story of Paul and how they were led of the Holy Spirit on where next to preach in Acts 16? It is learning to walk with Him daily and responding to the initial promptings of the Holy Spirit.
Hearing God should be an everyday part of life activity. It should not be complicated if you already are in a relationship with Jesus. It’s like being in a close relationship with a loved one. You know when they want to communicate with you, what they say with certain gestures, you know their heart even when they do not communicate verbally. It’s the same thing, when you walk intimately with Jesus, you know His heart, and you know how He communicates to you. One of the surest ways if identifying God’s voice is by reading scripture and looking at your life in the light of the scripture that you just read. It is having in mind that God’s word is ‘alive and active’ and as we read it, it is real to us at that time just as it was when it was first written. It is knowing that those words are God’s own, just for you! Hearing God in every line of scripture and making that line yours as the singer sang and said.
George Muller, a minister in England during the 19th Century made the following statement;
I never remember…..a period …..that I ever sincerely and patiently sought to know the will of God by the teaching of the Holy Ghost, through the instrumentality of the Word of God, but I have been always directed rightly. But if honesty of heart and uprightness before God were lacking, or if I did not patiently wait upon God for instruction, or if I preferred the counsel of my fellow men to the declarations of the Word of the living God, I made great mistakes. (Basil Miller, George Muller, The Man of Faith, pg 51)
We see here that Muller was able to hear God speak because;
He sought God sincerely
He patiently waited upon God
He read God’s Word for confirmation
He had to maintain uprightness and honesty of heart
He did not prefer the counsel of men to that of God
He gives a summary of how he entered into an intimate relationship with God and is able to discern His voice.
1. I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine =-tenths of the trouble with people is actually here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.
2. Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression, if so I make myself liable to great delusions.
3. I seek the will of the Spirit of God through, and in connection with the Word of God. The Spirit and the word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the scriptures and never contrary to them.
4. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will for me aright.
6. Thus through prayer to God, the study of the Word of God, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions’, I proceed accordingly. (George Muller, Answers to Prayer, pg6)
You could say George Muller was one of the most successful ministers of his time. When he prayed, he did not tell anyone else. He trusted God would supply all that He needed. He was a man of faith. During his ministry in Bristol he;
Started the Scripture Knowledge Institute for the distribution of scripture and for the religious education.
He opened four orphan houses that catered for 2,000 children at a time which by the time of his death, the orphanages had provided for 10,000 children.
He had distributed more than 8 million dollars donations as a result of prayer.
He died at 93 with only 800 dollars worth of worldly possessions. (Faith Coxe Bailey, George Muller, Moody Press)
This is clearly a life that was led by The Spirit of God. He could only accomplish so much if He walked closely with God. How can we apply this wisdom not only in search of a spouse, but for our everyday living? I encourage you to delight walking with your maker. Seek more about this subject. Read further and at my recommendation, look for the book, Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby. This is a classic study for every Christian who longs to develop such an intimate relationship with His maker.